Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fall is almost here: Shepherd's Pie season!

I make this great vegetarian Shepherd's Pie; mostly with a mixed assortment of nuts, vegetables and beans. I also came up with this fun way of serving it (pic below). Here's some pics I took while on the Shepherd's Pie baking journey: Walnuts and cashews, unsalted and raw until I toasted them. Ton's of carrots! Roasted and salted sunflower seeds Paired this meal with this beautiful asparagus I ran the potatoes through a ricer (of course!) Using a large muffin tin, and mini loaf pans, the pies came out looking as good as it tasted! Upside-down cooling off

5 comments:

Mark Derricott said...

Why "of course" you used a ricer? What is the benefit of a ricer? Is it a uni-tasker?

LemmonWheel said...

A ricer is basically a uni-tasker. However, besides fluffy, lump-free mashed potatoes, it can be used to make applesauce or spaetzle. I said "of course" because Martha Stewart and I won't make mashed potatoes any other way. :)

LemmonWheel said...

It takes the "guess-work" out of over-mixing and making gooey mashed potatoes. No more frustrating gooey potatoes! (See: frustrated man throwing his inferior potatoes aside, to excitedly accept the RICER and the end of gooeyness!)

Alicia said...

One of my favorite restaurants is MacCool's Irish restaurant. They have 1 in Layton by Roosters and 1 in Foothill, I think. It's been a long time since I was able to go. I've been to both and seriously, the Layton one tastes better, has a cooler ambiance and the staff is more interesting. I love the manager if he's still there. He has such red hair and such a big, red beard. He looks Irish! But he's from Utah, I think. Anyway, my favorite item is the meatloaf, which you wouldn't like BUT it comes with the most delicious grilled asparagus and masher potatoes, which I think you'd love. Ask them if they'd make the asparagus for you on the side and make sure you get a side of their "special bbq sauce" that is intended for the meatloaf. It's amazing. The chocolate pudding is good to me as well. Anyway, just a fun place to eat. I like the chairs, they come from Ireland...beachwood, handcarved. It's fun.

LemmonWheel said...

Janie posted this, but I accidentally deleted it:

"OMG, I love my potato ricer! and I love that you use one too :) Cake looks beautimus!"

Thanks Janie!!